Historically, on the site of the present Unkapanı Ataturk Bridge, there was a bridge called the “Jewish Bridge” (Yahudi Köprüsü) made of wooden planks. The purpose of building a bridge across the Golden Horn was to save citizens from paying a boat fee. For this reason, the bridge was known as the “Pious Deed Bridge” (Hayrat Köprüsü). The name of the bridge was changed to “Atatürk Bridge” in 1935.
Translated by Mr. Irfan KOKSAL