This year, work crews have arranged the flowers in a number of geometrical shapes and produced figures such as amulets, waterfalls, the Turkish flag and various human figures. As Istanbul is also the 2012 European Capital of Sports, there are also tulip figures relating to sports.
In 2004, the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) launched a campaign themed “İstanbul reunites with the tulip,” in order to “give the tulip back to its motherland.” The campaign was a radical landscaping revolution and dramatically improved the look of the city. Mayor Kadir Topbaş in various speeches underlined that the tulip is an indispensable part of İstanbul’s life, and so it should be returned -- the main purpose of the campaign.
According to the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality Park and Gardens Directorate, a total of 11 million 650 thousand tulips of 104 different varieties were planted. Tulips of 104 different varieties were grown by villagers from Silivri, Çatalca, Şile, Pamukova and Geyve as well as those in the Çumra district of the Central Anatolian province of Konya.
One-hundred and four kinds of tulips have been planted this year from Silivri to Tuzla throughout İstanbul. The tulip buds were mainly grown in Çumra, a town of Konya, but were also grown by villagers of Silivri, Çatalca, Şile, Pamukova, and Geyve. Tulip sales will also be held as part of the Tulip festival.
Support for the villagers as well as the flower bulbs were improved and provided allowing for additional income opportunities for the producers.
Information on Tulip Season 2012
A total of 11 million 650 thousand tulips have been planted in the last monts of 2011 for the Tulip Season 2012.
The total cost of the tulips which have been planted is 2,680,000 TL.
THE NUMBER OF TULIPS PLANTED IN SPECIAL REGIONS
* (A total of 260,000 tulips of 15 different varieties have been planted in Gülhane Park )
* (A total of 1.850 tulips of 112 different varieties have been planted in Emirgan Woods)
* (A total of 550.000 tulips of 23 different varieties have been planted in Yıldız Woods)
* (A total of 600.000 tulips of 62 different varieties have been planted in Bulbous Plants Park)
* (A total of 680.000 tulips of 25 different varieties have been planted in Beykoz Woods)
* (A total of 125.000 tulips of 7 different varieties have been planted in Göztepe Rose Garden)
* (A total of 111.000 tulips of 18 different varieties have been planted in Büyük Çamlıca Woods)
* (A total of 120.000 tulips of 14 different varieties have been planted in Küçük Çamlıca Woods)
* (A total of 189.000 tulips of 20 different varieties have been planted in Fethipaşa Woods)
* (A total of 211.000 tulips of 16 kinds have been planted in Hidiv Çubuklu Woods)
Opening will be on April 15
Some 11.5 million tulips were planted last year at a cost of 2.7 million liras, while 9.3 million tulips were planted the previous year.
The opening of the Istanbul Tulip Festival will be held April 15 at a ceremony at the Beyaz Köşk in the Emirgan Forest, with the participation of Istanbul Mayor Kadir Topbaş.
The festival will continue until April 29 with various activities in the Emirgan Forest, Sultanahmet Square, Büyükçamlı Forest, Hidiv Forest and Taksim Square.
There will also be a Tulip Statues exhibition in Taksim Square, continuing until the end of the festival.
Emirgan Forest will also host exhibitions of tulips and present tulip-themed products produced at the Women’s Coordination Center.
A “50 Best Tulip Photos” competition award ceremony will also be held at the forest.
Istanbul Tulip Festival program - April 7 through April 29