The 6th edition of the International Istanbul Tulip Festival organized by the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) will begin in Istanbul today.
The opening ceremony will be held at Emirgan Woods with the participation of Mr. Kadir Topbaş, the Mayor of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, (IMM) and executives from the municipality at 11:00 AM.
The International Istanbul Tulip Festival, which is one of the important symbols of Istanbul and a part of Turkish culture, began in 2005 under the slogans "The most beautiful tulip grows in Istanbul" and "Istanbul Meets its Tulip!” Several events will be held around the city this year as part of the International Istanbul Tulip Festival.
While the city of Istanbul and the people of Istanbul meet their tulips, exhibitions and festivities will take place at Taksim Square, Emirgan Woods, Hidiv Woods, Göztepe Rose Garden, Büyük Çamlıca Woods, Sultanahmet Square, and Gülhane Park during the Tulip Festival. In addition to selling tulip-themed products ranging from marbling to sculptures, there are also paintings, photo exhibitions, and concerts on exposition. While the marbling artists will do live performances throughout the show for art lovers, fifty people who have taken pictures of tulips in the competition called "The most beautiful 50 Tulips" will be awarded. Tulip sales will also be held as part of the Tulip festival.
One-hundred and twelve kinds of tulips have been planted this year from Silivri to Tuzla throughout İstanbul. The tulip buds were mainly grown in Çumra, a town of Konya, but were also grown by villagers of Silivri, Çatalca, Şile, Pamukova, and Geyve. Support for the villagers as well as the flower bulbs were improved and provided allowing for additional income opportunities for the producers.
A total of 11 million 500 thousand tulips have been planted for Istanbul in 2011.
THE NUMBER OF TULIPS PLANTED IN SPECIAL REGIONS
* (A total of 250,000 tulips with 15 kinds have been planted in Gülhane Park )
* (A total of 1.720 tulips with 112 kinds have been planted in Emirgan Woods)
* (A total of 490.000 tulips with 23 kinds have been planted in Yıldız Woods)
* (A total of 546.000 tulips with 62 kinds have been planted in Bulbous Plants Park)
* (A total of 641.000 tulips with 25 kinds have been planted in Beykoz Woods)
* (A total of 115.000 tulips with 7 kinds have been planted in Göztepe Rose Garden)
* (A total of 111.000 tulips with 18 kinds have been planted in Büyük Çamlıca Woods)
* (A total of 115.000 tulips with 14 kinds have been planted in Küçük Çamlıca Woods)
* (A total of 174.000 tulips with 20 kinds have been planted in Fethipaşa Woods)
* (A total of 202.000 tulips with 16 kinds have been planted in Hidiv Woods)